It wasn't until later when Desidero Pavoni purchased the rights from Mr. Bezzera for the espresso machine that it became popular. Pavoni was extremely successful in marketing the product and probably changed the way people drink coffee from then on. Just look around! Coffee and Espresso shops are popping up everywhere, even in the U.S. it has become not only popular for the delicious beans, but has given us a new place to socialize.
- In 1901 Luigi Bezzera filed a patent for the espresso machine that contained a boiler and four "groups". Each group could take different size filters that contained the coffee. Boiling water was forced through the coffee and into a cup. Ambrogio Fumagelli says that this was the birth of (fast) espresso coffee.
- In 1903 Luigi Bezzera's patent was then purchased by Desiderio Pavoni and put to market in a big way.
- In 1905 The Pavoni company begins manufacturing the espresso machines soley based on Bezzera's patent.
- In 1927 First espresso machine was installed in the United States. It was a La Pavoni Espresso Machine installed at Regio's in New York.
- In 1938 Cremonesi designed a piston pump that forced hot water through the coffee. It was installed at Achille Gaggia's coffee bar.
- In 1946 Gaggia begins manufacturing the commercial piston machine. Resulting foam or cream layered coffee or cafe'.